Friday, December 3, 2010

The advantage of an hour commute

Three days a week I make the journey from my little apartment in woodside queens to cold spring harbor long island. On this trip I will take a train to an another train to a shuttle van to then be picked up by a kind co worker. It's about an hour and ten minutes each way... When the long island railroad is being kind. Alot of people say "wow that commute must suck" and sometimes when the train is 20 minutes late and I'm waiting on a platform In the rain, it does. How ever this commute gives me over 6 hours a week to READ. In the last month and a half I read the following books, the intelligent investor, the four hour work week, the long tail, the 80/20 rule, dave Ramsey total money make over, the millionaire next door and about 1,000 pages of the new York times. I now know why new yorkers are thought of as intelligent and well read, it's not because we want to be it's because there is nothing else to do When you spend half your life on a train or a bus.  At the beginning of november I knew almost nothing about starting a small business and even less about my own financial situation.  now because of my reading I'm using excel to keep track of my cash flow,  im following the stock market and looking into buying Stocks and mutual funds, and on the hunt for a CPA so i can pay less taxes and see if a LLC or an s corporation will be the right choice for my future business. Hopefully all my reading will pay off and someday someone will ask "wear did u go to business school" and I'll say "LIRRU.... long island rail road university."

No comments:

Post a Comment